Saturday, February 4, 2012

The spurs go on, the bit comes off, and we leave the ring.

Lots of things changed since our last ride on Tuesday. Friday I decided to put on my little spurs just to remind Poncho, hey mister my leg really is there. He got a little annoyed that he couldn't just ignore me. But listened well enough. Spurs aren't something I ride in all the time every once in a while just to remind him. We only walked and trotted mainly because he was just so resistant to the bit. We got some quality, quality trot work. However when he was not he was bracing and crossing his jaw. I felt so bad for him he was clearly unhappy with it. So to make it up to him we hacked back around the barn again. We even opened and closed the gate this time. I also promptly switched back to the hackamore once I put him back. We'll use that atleast until I can buy a nathe bit to try.

Today we ventured out to the pond field! Poncho was elated, of course. We just walked around to give him a mental break day. Although towards the end I did ask for a trot. I must say he does have a time limit. If he doesn't get put to work after a certain amount of time it just doesn't happen. Well that happened today. He was lazy x10 at the trot. He did it but put no effort into. Way to go. haha. Oh well he's aloud to have a lazy day every once in  awhile.

In other news I got new tall boots today. Instead of getting new half chaps and paddock boots I found at my local tack store a pair of Ariat Volants $100 off the regular price - hard to pass up. So I had an impulse by. Also we got Midnite some new joint supplement. Hopefully in another week or two she'll feel better. Those mares are crazyy running around like lunatics at all times of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment