Sunday, March 25, 2012

It started with so much promise.

Last Sunday I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with Poncho, so we tried some longeing. He was much better than the last time. I like to think we are making progress with it. Since I do really love to see him go.

Then Monday and Tuesday passed with no time left for the barn.

SO I didn't get to see the ponies again until the vet visit I scheduled for Wednesday. We started with Midnite on the longe because of how she had looked on Sunday. Ultimately we ended up re-testing her for EPM on the spot. Luckily it came back fine. Which led us to decided to hold off for the day on her chiro work for fear of doing to much too soon.

Onto Poncho we decided it would be best to see him go undersaddle. I am so glad we did that. It was the first time I got some real feedback on what has been feeling "off" to me. It turns out he is in fact sore in his hocks. So I am not crazy. I feel horrible that it took so long to get to the bottom of. But after watching him go we decided we wanted to do flexions. However we wanted to see him flex cold, not warmed up. Which meant on Thursday we had to go out again. He ended up flexing slightly positive in his hocks - no big surprise though. So he's now on adequan and in 3 weeks we will re-evaluate. Luckily Poncho decided it's okay for me to give him shots, just not the vet. So as long as this thinking continues the adequan is a-go.

In other news I had to have a discussion with the Barn Manager about our horses weights. Apparently only she, because my vet says they are perfect, thinks that they need a major diet and grazing muzzles. GAHH. So poor Poncho is so depressed stuck in the diet field during the day longingly looking at "his" field and friends. I feel so bad for him. He even whinnied and met me at the gate today. That n-e-v-e-r happens.

Today we ended up just walking and minimally trotting around the ring - it was mega soupy. Too much darn rain. He is still mega stiff and resistant to bending and stretching at first. He does improve somewhat through out the ride. Hopefully with a few more shots of adequan he'll be a new horse.  Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment