Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting out and about!

Since Poncho was struggling with his canter in the ring I decided to take a different approach these last two rides.

On Tuesday I was riding solo and didn't want to be bother with the ring. So we ventured out to the big gelding field (for those who don't know/remember it's 14 acres). We walked up and down the field once each direction. Then we cantered. The first canter I did on his "good" lead, his left, it was a bit bouncy you could say. He was hopping and tossing his head around for the first half of the field. Until he realized we were simply cantering down the field, then he got right down to business and cantered on. Ha. When we turned around he started to get a little fired up his trot just got totally pumped up. Then we broke into the canter. And boy was he moving out nice! He still drifted out majorly, majorly. I didn't push the issue at the time though. Since it was his first time doing that as long as he was content to go I was happy. Then we hacked around the field for awhile. After a lap of the field we went to the back where there's a nice hill and did a bit of hill work. All in all it was a nice change of pace and I think it's a ride type we are going to continue adding to our routine.

Yesterday (Wednesday) by the time we got out to the barn it was HOT. I felt like dying I can't even imagine how the ponies were feeling. So I knew right away it was an easy day. Mom came out with me so we both headed to the pond field. Poncho thought there were some monsters hiding in the woods and on several different occasions felt like he may just explode at any moment. He didn't though. We only walked around for about 20 minutes because it was just sooo hot and Midnite isn't used to working on varied terrain as much as Poncho. But still even with that poor Poncho broke a sweat.



On Tuesday I only longed Midnite I was tired. It was extremely brief because it seems that dragging the ring isn't a priority at the moment and it was like concrete in a couple of spots. So I didn't want to stress her joints out too much. Then on Wednesday in the pond field she was a super star. She seemed to handle the terrain exceptionally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment