Friday, April 27, 2012

MAJOR catch-up!

Wow have I gotten behind. But I am not with out my excuses. First my laptop died. Second I got a new job - an oh so glamorous stall mucking job. Third I am also working with my dad to try get more money. So I have been pretty swamped. But still I have managed to get Poncho worked atleast 3 days a week.

Initally Poncho was horrible. Running all over the place and ignoringme completely. Luckily that only lasted for a few rides and then he was slowly working his way back to normal. He's still a bit crazy in the big gelding field but improving.

The secret to working on his canter is circles. So simple yet so easy to forget. He moves out beautifully on a circle. Although on the left lead he still has his issues picking it up but he will eventually pick it up for me now. PROGRESS.

We've also been working on coming on the bit more now - he constantly wants to fight against it no matter what. But he's slowly coming around to the idea a few steps at a time. When he gets it - it is perfect. So hopefully soon he'll decide the fighting is not worth it.

Also we've started to do some jumping to spice things up a bit. Apparently he forgot he could jump though. It took almost a half hour by my guess to get over it the first day. Goodness did that take some patience. Then the next day it didn't take as long but he was getting so strung out he couldn't jump. But I was able to get him to collect somewhat after a few attempts (we actually had to trot the jump) and then we had some success.

And that's the short version of everything. I had a huge list of things I wanted to mention but I'm currently at a loss of what they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment