Saturday, January 12, 2013

In the clear and plucking along!

Poncho seems to be officially over his virus HOO-RAY! He's been off his medicine since Monday and no fever, only minimal cough (only when we first starting "working" in the ring and kick up dust).


On Monday I hacked him around the ring in his hackamore just to get him out and about. He was a super star of course. He was quite pleased to be finally going back to work. Tuesday I gave him off because it would be his only day off for the week. Go me for working this week!

Wednesday he was freaking super duper star in the ring. He was so forward and soft! He got his canter perfectly on the left lead - I was beyond ecstatic!!!!!!! His trot was to die for and he would stretch all the way to the ground and lift his back. SWOON!

Thursday my knee was k-i-l-l-i-n-g me so I just hacked Poncho up and down the driveway for about 20 minutes. Nothing spectacular by any means.

Yesterday it was so rainy and yucky. I got to the barn and Poncho had rolled in a puddle with his sheet on and gotten thoroughly soaked through. So I spent forever trying to dry him off enough to turn him back out. That lasted about an hour. I wasn't planning on riding but I came out of the tack room after getting my drink and guess what...Poncho was standing in the crossties like "hellooooo let's get to work now!". So of course I couldn't say no to that face! Off we went. Just walk and trot since it was so wet and goopy. He was also quite spooky but that wasn't a huge deal. He was however so nice and forward!

Today I failed epically! I pushed him too much. I knew once I got on I should have just hacked him out today. But I prevailed. He was good for his trot work and canter work on his right lead. However when I tried for the left lead we completely fell to pieces! It was horrible I could not get it today to save my life. We tried and tried and finally got a glimmer so I called it quits immediately. I have several theories that led to our demise (it could just be wishful thinking though). 1. his feet. He's currently barefoot and wearing his feet unevenly all of the sudden so maybe it's making it difficult to canter on the left lead. 2. I mentally made him do to much in the ring so he fell back to this bad habit. 3. my thinline pad. I haven't been riding with it lately and just started again, possibly it's too much padding? Who knows. We'll see.

We're going to hack for the next two days and then re-evaluate where we are. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment