Saturday, January 28, 2012

Alas, we put the bit back on.

Today was Poncho's first day back in his bit since before the new year. Crazy to say that but true. I must say I've been in love with how he's going bitless. However with the bit today he seemed to be thinking "what-the-heck". I guess since it's been over a month he just forgot how it worked? I don't really know. He was a bit resistant - we will work on more softening tomorrow. He was semi-rushy (a really bad habit he gets into when his teeth need to be done, guess he forgot they were done two days ago.). He was falling through his shoulder in some of the turns. But once he figured out how things worked again that was solved. We only walked and trotted today just to let him process this sudden change. Ha. After I don't even know how long another boarder came into the ring to jump. So Poncho and me just meandered around in the grass section for a few.

I pampered him a little bit once we were done. He's got to look mighty fine for his coggins pictures tomorrow. So I trimmed up his mane. It's not spectacular but in my defense I didn't have clippers (I usually roach it) or anything but scissors. Needless to say I made due.

Then I grabbed Midnite, she's getting ready to go into boot camp. Except a very wimpy boot camp, EPM version if you will. She was much better at the crossties today she didn't really try to pull back at all. I just let her sniff around everyone and look where ever she wanted to before we got down to business. Luckily my saddle fits her too, so I didn't have to switch to western. We did very minimal work. She is all over the place at the walk. At the trot she threatens to throw temper tantrums - she doesn't follow through though thank goodness. All things considered though she's not doing to bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment