Friday, October 12, 2012

Attempting to get back into the swing of things.

We're getting there. The week was off to a rough start however. I was out by myself on a cold, rainy, windy day so I wasn't setting up for success. The game plan was to smoothly change his abscess boot. What I did not plan for were his attempts to bolt while I was leading him and then his attempts to run over me to get out of the run-in. I'd love to say that I finally got him in the cross ties BUT I didn't so I tied him to a tree. And it didn't get much better from there. He was iffy at best taking the boot off I rinsed it out and was getting ready to re-wrap it when he slammed into me. I fell, he tried to run sideways (over top of me). I got smushed. I have a nice bruise on my left calf, right ankle, and right knee. After that you would have though I might give up. But I managed to successfully get the boot on so I decided I'd give him a treat. Well right once I got into the tack room I hear hoofbeats. That's right Ponykins untied himself and made a run for it. I did go back out and get and make him listen to me some. Then he acted like a puppy for awhile and I left.



Tuesday I would have loved to go out to the barn but I couldn't manage the drive so I didn't go.



Wednesday it was a beautiful day and I was really looking forward to riding. Thankfully Poncho did not disappoint. I took the boot off, and thank goodness it didn't look like he needed another one. Just to err on the side of caution I opted to ride in the ring just incase the Poncho from Monday reared his ugly head. He didn't though. We got some nice trot work and some lateral work. Our canter work was less than desired but I'm not complaining we're incredibly inconsistent on our canter work.



Yesterday I just hacked around in the field. It wasn't too great he decided that my left leg didn't exist.hmmmmmm. We made due and got some things accomplished we cantered once out there it was a nice forward canter. Until the end when we transitioned back down to the trot since I was in two-point out there he decided to try and bronc a little. What a goober.



Today the spurs and whip came back out I guess I'd been a little to lenient with the guy here lately. Back to the ring. He was much, much more on the aids today. We only had one spook - heck yes. Our canter was little better in there but he protested the spurs a little (only at the canter though).

No comments:

Post a Comment