Saturday, March 16, 2013

The attitude is back!

One thing about Poncho that's backwards is that when it's cold out he's extra calm. When it starts to warm up he gets koo-koo. Of course Poncho has to defy the stero-type. DUH.

So after our nice quick ride on Wednesday we had a nice little hack on Thursday. It was chilly and windy. He was a smidge looky but overall a superstar. We only walked because the field was basically a death trap with slick spots everywhere.

Yesterday was considerably warmer and still a little breezy. So we could actually get some work done I headed to the ring. He was feeling good! Very responsive. Tracking left everything went smooth as can be. However tracking right, as per usual the "other side" appeared. He was solid for the w/t work. But the second I asked for the canter we started to run sideways. His signature move. I couldn't work him out of it at the canter so we backed down to the trot for a little. (* in the ring there is a corner that is washed out I refer to it as the corner of death - it has gulleys and what not that instantly drop a little over a foot) Because I didn't want to kill us both. The first time going around again he dove right off the edge. Ohh my word I almost had a heart attack, I thought he finally managed to kill himself. So after a slight over reaction on my part we got out of the ditch and back into action. This time around he dried to dive and I SMACKED him good on the neck/shoulder with the whip. He of course acted like he was going to completely loose it (but did not). We had a few of those episodes then he settled and was a good boy again.

We're going to be getting more rain off and on for the next few days so here's to hoping the footing will stay nice enough to continue riding!


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting that he is friskier when it is warmer! He's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete