Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Well...that didn't quite go as planned.

"Great horses are not often easy horses. They have big egos and idiosyncrasies and quirks and foibles. Horses of a lifetime do exist, but only for riders so skillful, tactful, and courageous that they can unlock and then reveal the brilliance of their equine partners." - Denny Emerson

So I left off at Poncho was going to have 2-4 days off. So he had Thursday and Friday off. We got lots of rain so I just hung out with him some and doctored his STILL puffy fetlock.

Saturday rolls around and his fetlock finally is back to normal. I decided we'd just have a short w/t ride. Which we did. Nothing fantastic nothing horrible. However I was starting to notice an increase in his distaste for his normal bit. hmmmm.

Sunday I managed to get off work in enough time to scoot out to the barn before the thunderstorms rolled in AGAIN! But as I get there the BO walks up to let me know Poncho had escaped today. Apparently he just couldn't wait to be turned out after finishing his grain. So he "ran" from the back of his stall through the door, completely removing the screws from it. WOW. Not quite what I wanted to hear but I got past it. He seemed calm enough out in the field, so all systems were still a go. Calm as cucumber while we're walking to the barn. Then we get to the cross ties and all hell brakes loose. He just lost his mind. He wouldn't go in them, then when he would he's literally try to run me over to get out. 35 minutes later I had gotten him in long enough to brush him quickly before round 1 million started. Another 10 minutes and I got so annoyed I just tossed him back out in the field to cool off for a few. When I pulled him back out still much of the same but I got him in and calm for about a minute. So I gave him a treat and sent him on his way!

Monday I was so flabbergasted and upset about Sunday that I didn't even go out.

Tuesday I had a feeling he'd be back to normal so I planned on trying out a new bit my mom got for Midnite, since Poncho's protesting his. Of course he was perfect for the cross ties now...he just kills me sometimes. He was a tad skeptical about taking the new bit (a happy mouth mullen d-ring). He chomped on it for a minute or two and then was fine. There wasn't an incredible difference with it at the walk and trot. But when we cantered it was the most control I've had at the canter probably ever. Normally I feel barely in control he just barrels along but not this time. It was truly lovely! So I ordered him one once I got him.

Today I went out mega early to beat the heat. Since he liked the happy mouth I didn't want to ride him in a bit he hates...so I pulled the hackamore back out. I wrapped the curb chain in vet wrap to help soften it (he appreciated it very much). I can always count on him being relaxed in the hack it's just when we canter he gets really heavy so I tend to not use it on a regular basis. However until our new bit comes in that's what we'll use. I just tried to keep things positive and fairly short today. w/t was nice. He was much more compliant with our lateral work. Cantering on our right lead was nice and forward. Left lead we never got but he was calm and never got frustrated enough to run out of the ring so I let it slide this time. (hopefully that won't come back to haunt me next time!) Then I popped him over a little vertical a few times each direction. Tracking left he's much better jumping that right, which I find ironic due to our cantering issues. Oh well he always keeps me guessing!

2 comments: