Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Two amazing rides and those damn cows!

Saturday and Sunday I had two amazing rides in the ring. We spent our time really solidifying our straightness and bending. He was super duper. Even with many distractions and being completely alone up there. He was nice and forward. Going on the bit amazingly (even though that wasn't our main goal he did non-the-less 80% of the time). His canter work was to die for going to the left the right somehow has gotten a bit messy. He just doesn't want to stretch out and really zoom on like he does going left. Tracking left I could just ride forever and a day!

Today he started his adequan again. Luckily this year the shots are still not a big deal. It just baffles me 6 1/2 years of extreme needle phobia and now nothing!!!!!! Anywho I was just planning a nice hack today. He hasn't been worked since Sunday due to some unforeseen circumstances. However that was fixed today! I got on and we were walking on a nice long loose rein when all of the sudden he jumps sideways. I straighten him back out and we go through this several times down the little hill at the front of the field. Hmmmmm. Then as we start rounding the turn I see it! Damn cows 5 or 6 of them in the field next door. Since it's such a huge field we rarely see them. And these are red cows not black. Oh no's. Poncho balked. I kicked him on he ran backwards. I kicked him on harder. He ran sideways up the hill. Then as we straightened out and I though we were in the clear BOOM! He did the weirdest run/hop/buck/rear maneuver I've ever ridden in my life! We went through that cycle several different times. I was able to get him semi-calm but never 100% throughout the rest of the ride.

Oh well there's always tomorrow. Since I work 6am - 12pm I'm going to stop out by the barn on my way home and sneak a ride in!

No comments:

Post a Comment