Friday, December 7, 2012

2012 in review

This has been one roller-coaster of a year. I started the year off with so much hope in all aspects of my life. However with the year winding down I am slam full of anxiety and uncertainty. Such is life I suppose. But more or less let's get down to the nitty gritty of 2012.


I started off last January taking a temporary job at my vets office. I didn't have to much time to ride productively during those 3 months but made due with what I could. I had bought a new saddle before Christmas, finally one that Mr. Ponyface was pleased with. I got a hackamore for Christmas so we were switching between that and his bit. (We were still in a place where bit = tense,mean pony.) We had lots of leisurely rides to help keep him calm. Our ring work was inconsistent. So back and forth on his canter work (when has it not been though?)


As the months were progressing I was feeling on top of the world. Ponchers was moving fantastically after we squared away our hock pain (adequan 2X a year). He was moving like a freaking machine. Our jumping however was nonexistent still at this point. After failed attempt after failed attempt in October 2011 I gave up for a long while. We were still iffy with the contact but he had his days.


Once spring was rolling around I was debating putting some shoes back on him because the barn we were at had shit footing. (It didn't start out that way but it was never maintained properly - in my opinion.) I had already put him on the Farriers Formula Double Strength. So I took the plunge and threw those bad boys back on him - fronts only though! Immediate difference he was more than willing to start jumping again. Of course only in the hackamore for the first few sessions. I kept it super easy and barely did anything.


Then things got iffy. It had gone to his head riding out in the fields, letting him canter and gallop around some. So in the ring he went completely bonkers. We could not get our left lead (which used to be our great one). We couldn't even canter a lap around the ring without him flinging himself against the fence. It was ridiculous. However during this period he was jumping like a star. Going nice and round of the jumps and you bet he could canter calmly away from them. What the difference was I'll never know. We moved to a different barn before I resolved the issue. Once at the new barn it was gone though!?


We took things fairly easy at first once we moved, of course we felt like melting for the first several weeks. We did lots of new things. Rode out on the trail in company and alone (before hunting started). Had an interesting ride in a downpour once. Pole work whilst cantering (easy stuff I know). Of course we've still had some bumps in the road where spurs came back out. One ride where the was constant rooting and bucking! But we made it through. And most importantly here lately....


WE'RE GOING ON THE BIT CONSISTENTLY. I have finally found the equation that works for him. On the buckle warm-up. Slowly shorten reins. Ask for some suppling. And BOOM on the bit. Rinse and repeat several times throughout the ride. Currently we are still in our "vacation" but we'll be back in business soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment