Thursday, May 17, 2012

Squeezing in a few more rides.

On Saturday, after our wonderful hack out in the gelding field, I went out wayyy late to ride so I could ride with my Mom. We ended up going in the ring due to all the other ponies being turned out. Poncho was definitely less than pleased but was a gentleman nonetheless. He did have a nice pouty face going on however. We walked and trotted around for awhile sorting out his bolting issue from the last time we rode in there. Don't know what it is with that one spot in the ring but ohwell. After he got over that little issue, before we wrapped up the ride I wanted to try a quick canter with the hackamore in there. It wasn't horrible but the hackamore didn't cure his issues. I didn't really think it would though.

On Sunday Mom wanted to hack out in the gelding field with us. So we meandered around for awhile enjoying the nice weather.

Yesterday, Wednesday, it was so humid out I felt like I couldn't breathe. But I really wanted to ride. So I planned on doing a quick-ish conditioning ride out in the gelding field. We walked a lap, trotted a lap, changed directions, trotted a little more, then walked some more. When we turned for "home" I decided on a whim to let him open up a bit. We started off at a nice brisk canter - then I asked for a smidge more. He readily complied then about 6 or 7 strides in to our slow gallop he went full on bucking bronco on me. He was feeling GOOD! It was kind of adorable. I got him back under control in a matter of seconds and we trotted off to regain our balance. Then we picked our canter back up and finished going down the long stretch in the field. He felt wonderful! He was even straight! Ohmy! It was sooooo nice!

We also had the vet out for Midnite's recheck from her adequan. She passed with flying colors. Score now I can start really diving into her conditioning work. However the visit did yield some more expensive results with both ponies. Farriers Formula Double Strength - both ponies. Accel - both ponies. Four shoes - Midnite. Front shoes - Poncho. Joint supplement - Poncho. Wow they went from easy keepers to high maintenance in one short visit. HAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment