Thursday, May 24, 2012

The rain, the humidity, the heat, the farrier, and maybe more?

Goodness you'd think since my last post we'd have some action packed stories to tell in all the time that has passed. BUT, no. It's been pretty darn boring actually - even Poncho thinks so. Ha.

[caption id="attachment_135" align="aligncenter" width="300"] *note snoozing pony in the crossties![/caption]

We've atleast stayed out of the ring, so that's something I guess. In our spectacular show-off fashion we have pretty much just been walking. Crazy, I know. But so many things have contributed to it. Either I was riding with Mom and Midnite (who can't trot in the big field yet), it was raining like mad or mega-muddy afterwards (which Poncho isn't used to doing speed work in - working on that though), or it was soo hot and humid I wanted to die (therefore I kept it light). We have managed a few little trots here and there but nothing noteworthy that would ever add up to anything.

I did decided to start taking (if I remember) monthly condition pictures of Poncho so I can see progression or regression.

[caption id="attachment_136" align="aligncenter" width="300"] May - month numero uno[/caption]

Today was pedicure day. Which meant the first time Poncho got shoes in almost a year. And maybe the first time Midnite has ever gotten shoes, we don't know. I must admit given how Ponch was last time I didn't know what to expect so I armed myself with some treats just incase. (For those who are curious a previous farrier lost patience when Ponchman got nervous and hit him on the back with a hammer - poooooor pony, needless to say said farrier was promptly fired and we've been letting him get comfortable with new farrier) I shouldn't have been surprised though he was a total gentleman. He did get a few well timed treats though- before he had a chance to pull a Poncho. He just got fronts this time, we'll see how that goes and we didn't hot shoe him today - we'll re-evaluate that next time around too. So proud of my little man, there was nothing noteworthy to mention about his feet good or bad. I suppose that's not a bad thing. Now onto Miss Midinte - the WildCard, as I like to call her in certain situations. I was hoping that after finishing her adequan she would be more comfortable. Not entirely the case - but I think a lot of it is just habit. She was hot shoed and we set her shoes back at the toe to help with her breakover. We also squared her hind toes to help with pressure. Then we wided and rolled various parts of the shoe to accommodate her various problems. We even found she had a couple of small bruises on her front left foot. Very curious since she hasn't been worked all week and hasn't been on much if at all gravel. Hmmm..... She was fairly well mannered on her fronts. Ironically she minded getting the nails clinched more than getting the shoes nailed on. Sillly. On her hinds true to Midnite fashion she pitched a fit. Luckily we were able to work out a system to get her to cooperate. 2 nails, rest, 2 nails, rest, and so on.

Then I had to leave the barn to run errands and such (chiro appt- me, bank, tractor supply for bell boots - for nite). Then I finally made it back out to the barn. Groomed Nite since it was sooo hot. I decided to do a quick hack on Poncho - 15 minutes walk and a small, small trot. And that was our first ride this week. Oh me oh my. Hopefully things will pick-up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment