Friday, May 17, 2013

Trying something new.

Today I went out to the barn with a simple plan of hacking out in the fields. When I got there the two fields I used last week had the pasture horse occupying them. SO that left us with a pasture with lots of hills and tractors surrounding it (scary stuff for Poncho). I wasn't too worried though the worst that could happen is I fall - been there done that with him too many times to be surprised.

Onwards we went.

After several minutes of me convincing him that we could in fact walk past the two tractors and their attachments into the field it was smooth sailing. Although he was not a big fan of the hills. They are a lot steeper than I remembered once we were out there. I only did that for about 15 minutes, we'll have to work up to more. Then we went to the ring to do some stretchy trot work. Where he kept tripping over his rubber bell boots (he has a pair specifically for riding that he's fine with I just didn't want to get them all muddy) so we never attempted cantering. He also forgot that he knows what puddles are. Goober. He splished and splashed around in them for a little before he decided that he could trot through it. Then it was a game to see how much water you could splash up!

Pretty simple day all in all. I just wanted him to have a nice refreshing day where he didn't have to really think. So then he got pampered on a bit. Which led to his new job as official rag holder!

Clearly he takes his new job VERY seriously!
Then I just hung out with him in his stall until he was bored with me and went back to eating his hay.

4 comments:

  1. I love hillwork, its so good for them, and it is very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Although I'm sure Poncho wasn't too enthused about it today, he'll learn to love though!

      Delete
  2. Soon he'll enjoy the break from the ring instead of be looking for things to stare at :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until we get to go out on the mini trail for the fist time, that will be fun!

      Delete